Applications must be complete with all supporting documents, including the reference letters, and received by Dec. 15th to be considered for financial aid for the following Fall semester.
The requirements are: a 3.0 undergraduate GPA (on a 4.0 scale) as an upper-level undergraduate; GRE scores - (1) a minimum of the 75th percentile for the quantitative section and 55th percentile for the verbal section for the new GRE grading scheme or (2) a combined score of at least 1100 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE exam graded on the old scale; three recent letters of recommendation from individuals who are able to assess the applicant’s academic and research potential; 1 set of official transcripts sent directly to FSU, a statement of goals and purpose for doing graduate studies in MS&E, and a resume (CV).
International applicants whose native language is not English must submit an English language proficiency exam, such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE). These scores are considered official only when the testing agency send the scores directly to the FSU Office of Admissions (see address below). The scores are only valid for two years.
TOEFL: 80 on the Internet-based exam or 550 on the paper-based exam; IELTS: 6.5; MELAB: 77; PTE: 57
- May 1 for Fall semester
- September 1 for Spring semester
- January 1 for Summer semester
- Note: Financial aid is only available for students who begin in Fall semesters
Supporting documents to be included with the FSU online application
All documents submitted with the application need to follow the format given below:
- Use 12-point font in Arial or Times New Roman.
- Do not use symbols in the title of your document (#, !, &, ~, etc.) as these may degrade the quality of your submission.
- Accepted formats include, Microsoft Word (.docx), Portable Document Format (.pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf) and Text (.txt).
- Document size is limited to 500 kb.
- We recommend that you print this page as a reference or checklist when completing the application. If you do not submit required documents, this will delay the application process.
Submit the following required supporting documents in the order given below:
1. Document #1 - Statement of Goals and Purpose. Provide a statement (1-3 pages)of your goals and purpose in pursuing a graduate degree in materials science. Include a discussion of your research experience and interests.
2. Document #2 - Transcripts. (A) You need to submit a copy of your transcripts on line AND (B) you need to send an official copy of your transcripts to the Office of Admissions office (address given below).
- (A) Photocopies of your official transcripts - used for the initial review of your application. Please scan and upload your transcript(s).
- (B) Hard copy of your official transcripts - used for the final review of your application. Please have each of the institutes of higher education you have attended send an official copy of your transcripts to:
- Florida State University
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 3062400
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2400
3. Document #3 - Resume / Curriculum Vita. In your resume provide information about any honors and awards you may have received, teaching experience, research experience (lab technician, honors research or directed individual studies, etc.), scientific publications and presentations, relevant work experience, and any special skills you may have (computer programming, etc.).
4. Document #4 - List of Recommendation Writers. Please provide a list of the individuals who you have asked to write Letters of Recommendation along with their contact information.
5. Letters of Recommendation- submitted directly by the letter writer. Three (3) letters of recommendation from professors, mentors and/or employers familiar with your academic and/or research experience. Letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically. In the online application system, click on the Recommendation link and upload the information about the three people you have asked to write recommendation letters. The application system will send these people an e-mail requesting that the person submit a recommendation letter online. Thus, it is vitally important that you provide the correct e-mail addresses for the people who will write your letters of recommendation. Please note that notification the e-mails to your letter writers will indicate Florida State University as the sender but will come from support@ApplyYourself.com. If the letter writer uses a spam-blocking tool, please ask them to add this e-mail address to their list of known/safe addresses.
Note for students applying for the PhD degree
- There are no out-of-state tuition waivers available for the Master's of Science (M.S.) program in Materials Science and Engineering. Therefore, out-of-state applicants or applicants who cannot obtain Florida residency must secure full funding prior to seeking admission into the program. The University may require proof of such funding prior to admitting any student. Please note that application fees are non-refundable, so applicants should ensure that they meet all eligibility requirements prior to submitting an application.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Director, Materials Science Program